Cole County Residential Services web logo

Home - Cole County Residential Services, Inc.

Board Information
Human Resources
HIPAA Policies
Mission Statement
Title VI
Related Links


Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Due to limitations on the availability of funding, Cole County Special Services (CCSS) is unable to immediately provide services to all individuals with disabilities. Persons will be served based on priority of need.

Are any Agency services available?

Yes. Everyone who applies for services from the agency is entitled to an eligibility determination by the Division of DD. The Division will notify CCSS about individuals who are determined eligible.  CCSS will assign the Cole County citizen a case manager and an annual person centered plan will be developed.

When will I begin receiving services?


  • Eligible individuals on the waiting lists with the greatest need are served first regardless of the order individuals began waiting.
  • Services are based on the amount of funds available to the CCSS.  Funding is a combination of Federal, State and County monies.

How are needs prioritized?

The Division of DD's Utilization Review (UR) process evaluates the need for a service based on its necessity in assuring an individual's health, safety and quality of life. UR considers the following:

  • Homelessness
  • Immediate need for life-sustaining services and there are no alternatives to Division services
  • Danger to one's self or others
  • Legal/forensic status
  • Need to move from an institution
  • Health or age of primary caregiver

How are needs categorized?

UR assigns points based on individual need in one or more of the following five categories:

  • Health and Safety
  • Daily Living Supports
  • Family Supports
  • Inclusion and/or Recreation Supports
  • Long Term planning

A maximum of 12 points across categories may be assigned.

How will I know when services are available to me?

Your case manager will personally contact you and provide information about contract providers in your community for you to select as your service provider.

What can I do until funds are available?


  • Case Management will be provided. This includes the annual development of a person-centered plan that draws upon other available resources such as social services available from other state agencies, county-based services, local family and community supports.
  • If you have not already done so, you should apply for Medicaid and SSI. Your case manager can assist you in applying.
  • Temporary services may be authorized in emergency situations.
  • Your case manager will refer you to other agencies and community resources that may meet your needs.

Do I have the right to appeal?

If you are waiting to participate in a waiver you have formal appeal rights. Your case manager will provide you information and assist you with the process if you request assistance. Or you can access the appeal information on the DMH web site by using this link . If you are waiting for services funded with DD State tax dollars only, formal appeal rights are not applicable. You always, however, have the right to state your concerns to the appropriate supervisor or Regional Office Director.

How does one get appointed to the Board?
Board members are appointed by the Cole County Commissioners.  If you are interested in serving on the Board contact the County Commissioners.

Contact information footer